At the cellular level, immune response homeostasis, elimination of inflammation, and maintenance of immunological memory are all associated with immunoregulatory mechanisms in the body. Immunoregulation can prevent immunopathological injury and uncontrolled immune responses in diseases, especially neuroimmunological disorders. Cell signaling is crucial for the regulation of cell cycle and proliferation, protein production, as well as maintenance of physiological function. COVID-19 is accompanied by harmful inflammatory feedback and overactivation of neutrophils which leads to the formation of neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs). The Cytokine storm is one of the neuroimmunopathological processes in COVID-19 patients, which is an aggressive inflammatory response with excessive release of cytokines and involves cell signaling. Inflammatory immune dysregulation can interrupt the blood-brain barrier (BBB) and interact with the central nervous system (CNS). Therefore, these changes could be responsible for the CNS involvement by SARS-CoV2. Further, CNS involvement by COVID-19 is associated with viral infection mechanisms involved in immunity.
Cell-cell contact molecules and soluble immune mediators such as cytokines and chemokines, chemical drugs, natural compounds, and neuropeptides are used extensively in intracellular communication. These govern immunoregulation by cell signaling pathways. Precisely, immune cells utilize these mechanisms to transmit a signal to turn-on or turn-off the immune response. The CNS symptoms of COVID-19 are significant. Notably, the Neuroimmunology of COVID-19 deserves further research to make possible the design of next-generation therapeutics and diagnostics. The Discovery of novel molecular immune and neuron elements involved in the CNS affected by COVID-19 could help to better understand and therefore manage and eradicate the COVID-19 pandemic.
We welcome submissions of Original Research, Clinical trials, Systematic Reviews, Meta-Analyses, Narrative Reviews, Mini-Reviews, Editorial, and Opinions articles within the following topics:
• Evaluation of immune neural cells signaling in COVID-19
• Cell signaling of Neuroimmunopharmacological therapy in COVID-19
• Cytokines and other neuroimmune mediators of cell signaling in COVID-19
• The cellular interactions of the immune system in the CNS involvement by COVID-19
• Lung infection and the brain in COVID-19
• Immune cell signaling/dysregulation of in COVID-19 associated neurodegeneration
• Drugs or natural products for COVID-19 and related neurological conditions
• The Role of immunological neuron signaling and cytokine network in COVID-19 conditions accompanied by neurodegenerative disorders
• Establishment of novel immune cell markers or mediators as prognostic or molecular pathological in COVID19
• Neuroimmune cell signaling by COVID-19 vaccine
• Neuroimmunological cellular mechanisms that underlie the adverse neurological events resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection.